Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Lieberman

We're now 6 days away from the most fascinating primary of the season: the race to become the Democratic Senate nominee in Connecticut. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to pay better attention.

From Daily Kos today comes the suggestion that if Lieberman loses on Tuesday, which is a distinct possibility, and then chooses to run as an independent (or "petitioning Democrat," as I believe is the technical term), that Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid would "have to" strip Lieberman of his committee seats. Uhhh...really?

This seems to me like a no-win scenario for Reid. Lieberman is the favorite in a three way race in November, so is it really a good idea for Reid to strip Lieberman of the committee spots when he in all likelihood will still be a Senator come January? Isn't that just begging Lieberman to stay an Independent and caucus with the Republicans, just making things that much harder for the Dems?

Ned Lamont may win on Tuesday, but I have yet to be convinced that Lieberman is vulnerable come November, and there is very little evidence that Lieberman is going to just lay down and give up his seat to an upstart like Lamont, who is a creation of the so-called netroots. Perhaps if Lieberman has his clock cleaned, he'll give up the race. But this strikes me as a 51-49 type thing, and if that happens there would be no reason for Lieberman to drop out.

Finally, for those of you who think Lieberman should "listen to the voice of his party," I say screw that. If Lieberman would win a statewide election without the party, and the party turns it's back on him, he has every right to run as an independent. Losing a primary does not and should not prevent someone from getting on the ballot in November, especially when, like Lieberman, you have essentially been ambushed by a disaffected, but very vocal, segment of the party. Perhaps I feel this way because I am not strongly attached to either party, but I see the primary as good for one thing and one thing only, and that is getting the little (D) or (R) next to your name on the ballot (my apologies to the (L), (G), and (Rf)'s of the world). The two parties do not have the sole right to having access to the ballot.

For the record, I'm supporting Lieberman over Lamont in this race. There is such vitriol towards Lieberman, and while I don't think he's a particularly strong Senator, I also don't think he's any worse than most of the other yahoo's who are in office. Lamont hasn't convinced me that he's anything more than a novelty candidate. Of course, my support comes in the form of election-night rooting and nothing else; I would never, ever give money for a race like this even if I had it to give. Also, part of me really likes it when the fella's over at Daily Kos suffer a loss in a race that they so badly want to win. Does that make me a bad person?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home