Sunday, November 05, 2006

A Deeper Analysis of Maryland

Yesterday, I posted my (sort-of) final predictions for the election. The most left-field pick I made was in the Maryland Senate race between Congressman Ben Cardin (D), and Lieutenant Governor Michael Steele (R), who are running to replace the retiring Paul Sarbanes (D). Bucking the conventional wisdom, I am predicting that Steele will win, preserving Republican control of the Senate (if only barely).

Why buck the conventional wisdom in this race? First, the CW is largely built on polling data, the pseudo-incumbency advantage held by the same-party candidate for a seat long held by one person, and the general anti-Republican atmosphere that is pervasive this election. But look more closely at the polling data (thanks to Real Clear Politics, the best source of polling data on the web). Since October 30, 4 major polls have been released:

10/30 - Baltimore Sun - Cardin +6
10/31 - Rasmussen - Cardin +5
11/02 - Survey USA - Tie
11/03 - Mason-Dixon - Cardin +3

The tie is the statistical anomaly, and with multiple respected polling outfits suggesting Cardin has a slim (and closing) lead, I have to concede that Cardin is probably "ahead," whatever that means divorced from the actual counting of ballots.

However, Cardin has stumbled when it comes to courting black voters in Maryland, a critical constituency. For instance, for whatever reason (and there are some legitimate excuses circulating) Cardin did not appear at an NAACP event/debate on October 26, which angered those present and let Michael Steele, get significantly more attention and praise than could be expected for a Republican candidate.

The Washington Post offers a simple, and inadequate, explanation for why Cardin might be in trouble, buried in a story about trouble for the GOP: "unpredictable votes by African Americans could undo predictions in Maryland . . . where GOP nominee Michael S. Steele, who is black, is running against Rep. Benjamin L. Cardin (D), who is white." To be fair to the Post, the statement was attributed to Brian Nick, a spokesman for the National Republican Senatorial Committee - but it's clearly in line with the reasoning of the Post, which does not comment elsewhere.

But this is simplistic and frankly a little insulting. It suggests that African-American support for Steele is built on the simplest and least useful premise of "he's black, we're black, we're voting for him." Now, undoubtedly this is true in some cases. However, black voters are not a monolithic, simplistic cabal anymore than are white voters, or aged voters, or any other group of voters. I believe that Steele will peel off votes from Cardin amongst African-Americans because Cardin has neglected this fairly vital portion of his base. Ask any politician - it's a reality that keeping contact with the base, keeping people feeling like you are attentive to their needs and concerns, is essential. The majority of African-Americans who vote for Steele, or don't vote at all, won't be doing so simply because Steele is black - they'll be doing so because they don't feel Cardin is going to be an effective advocate for them.

So, I am essentially making an educated guess that the pollsters aren't adequately covering this aspect of the Maryland race, and that it won't really surface until the returns are counted on Tuesday night. I'm picking Steele because I think enough black voters will either vote for him, or not vote in the race at all, to erode Cardin's numbers to the point that Steele can get the win. Republicans, who have little chance to gain seats elsewhere, had best hope that I'm right.

3 Comments:

At Sun Nov 05, 12:20:00 PM, Blogger Stickeen said...

Maryland has not elected a Republican Senator since the days of Charles "Mac" Mathias. (And as to Governors, Ehrlich was a fluke about to be corrected.) Of course, African-American voters aren't monolithic, but they do have an overwhelming preference for Democrats, and that preference has remained steady despite Republican efforts. Odds are about 2-1 against Steele at Tradesports; I would consider Cardin a bargain at those odds.

 
At Sun Nov 05, 12:23:00 PM, Blogger Stickeen said...

Oh, and I think you might be missing a factor: there is a certain type of Republican who will not vote for Steele.

 
At Sun Nov 05, 12:55:00 PM, Blogger JST said...

First, let me say that I appreciate the comments.

Now - obviously, I think I'm right about this, or I would have picked Cardin (my general pride dictates that I try to pick the winner, not that I come up with something that few are predicting). That said, this race and the Montana Senate race (which I predict will be won by Tester) are definitely the predictions about which I am the least confident. Nevertheless, I stand by my analysis of the race, and think this is going to be very close. We'll find out on Tuesday whether I'm right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home