Monday, August 28, 2006

Wal-Mart Politics

I find the end premise of this Real Clear Politics blog post a little bit dubious. Ryan suggests that "The people who shop at Wal-Mart and like the bargains, on the other hand, are up for grabs. And this will only push them toward the Republicans."

Somehow, I don't think so. Even in this most consumer-oriented of cultures, I don't know a single person who would base their decision on who to vote for in an election on whether the candidate was pro- or anti-Wal-Mart. And I have to say, I'd be very, very frightened to find out that this is what elections are being decided on.

Of course, if you can be a single-issue voter on an issue like abortion, gun control, or gay marriage, then I guess anything is possible. Single issue voting based on a candidate's Wal-Mart stance makes just about as much sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home