Saturday, June 03, 2006

More on Tuesday

The Wall Street Journal has an interesting article about the importance of Tuesday's primaries and the California Special Election to replace Duke Cunningham.

I included the Special Election in my rundown of the primaries of interest that I posted yesterday, but thought I should comment briefly on it here, since it is fairly interesting. As the WSJ article says, California CD 50 should be a safe Republican seat, but the scandal of Cunningham being ousted has resulted in a close race. If the Democrats take this seat, it will be strongly indicative that the Republicans have a LOT of work to do over the next 5 months to make sure that they don't have a disastrous showing in November.

For the record, I don't yet buy that the political climate is so great for Democrats that the Republicans should be in panic mode. IF this election goes to the Dems, I'll have to conclude that the stage is set for a Democratic takeover of the house, but I expect that the Republicans will retain the seat. The problem, as has been said by too many people to count, is that the Democrats aren't much more appealing to the electorate than the Republicans. I expect the Democrats to do well in November, and to take a number of seats. I do not, however, expect them to take enough to win back the House.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home