Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A Bad Night for Incumbents

I already discussed Joe Lieberman below, but he is not by any means the only sitting politician to be booted out in a primary tonight. Of course, he has other options; the other two big losers tonight do not.

First, in a great result, the people of Georgia's CD 4 have chosen by a margin of 59%-41% to give Cynthia McKinney (D) the boot. She finished at the top of the initial primary fight, but couldn't crack the magical 50% barrier, and is now toast. Congratulations to Hank Johnson, Jr. for finishing strongly and picking up the nomination.

Second, Joe Schwartz (R) in the Michigan CD 7 is also likely to lose tonight, to challenger Tim Walberg. I mentioned yesterday that Walberg seemed particularly well funded, but I hadn't caught the news that Walberg was a really serious challenger. Looks like I missed that one, because Walberg is well on his way to ousting Schwarz.

I'll have a complete right up on the night tomorrow, but tonight was so interesting and unusual that I felt it was necessary to put out the last two posts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home